From:
Debra Swank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2019 23:00:22 -0400
Greetings All,

Some new studies, beginning with this open access study from New Zealand:

TItle:  Feasibility of Standardized Human Milk Collection in Neonatal Care Units.

In:  Scientific Reports 2019 Oct 4;9(1):14343. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-50560-y.

Authors:  Galante L, Vickers MH, Milan AM, Reynolds CM, Alexander T, Bloomfield FH, Pundir S.

Abstract:  "Research in human lactation is a growing field. However, difficulties in studying human milk originate from the dynamicity of its composition. Using standardized collection protocols is mandatory to minimize variation and warrant comparability of findings across different studies. Yet, information on the feasibility of collecting human milk with standardized procedures, especially in neonatal units, are lacking. The present study aims to report on the feasibility and difficulties to collect human milk according to a standardized protocol, during early lactation from women who gave birth to preterm infants. Human milk was collected from 129 mothers of moderate- to late-preterm infants according to two variations of a standard protocol which differed for number of collection time-points. Collection rates and adherence to the sampling protocol were evaluated together with reason for missed collection. Collection of ≥1 sample was successful for 80% of the mothers. However adherence to the standard protocol was overall low (36% and 27%). Collection rates were different between the two protocol variations (73% against 92%, p ≤ 0.001). Amongst the reason for missed collection, low milk supply was the most recurrent (40%). Our findings show that while collecting human milk in neonatal units is achievable, obtaining standard and comparable samples results challenging."

Full text:  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-50560-y

Title:  The chemical synthesis of human milk oligosaccharides: Lacto-N-tetraose (Galβ1→3GlcNAcβ1→3Galβ1→4Glc).

In:  Carbohydrate Research 2019 Sep 25;486:107824. doi: 10.1016/j.carres.2019.107824. [Epub ahead of print]

Authors:  Bandara MD, Stine KJ, Demchenko AV.

Highlights:  "The total synthesis of lacto-N-tetraose has been completed using both linear and convergent synthesis approaches.  The linear approach was proven to be more efficient in this application.  New synthetic protocols for different glycosidic linkages have been developed and refined.  New methods for obtaining individual HMO help to improve understanding their roles and boost practical applications."

Abstract only:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0008621519304264?via%3Dihub

Title:  Large scale production of lacto-N-biose I, a building block of type I human milk oligosaccharides, using sugar phosphorylases.

In:  Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 2019 Sep 28:1-8. doi: 10.1080/09168451.2019.1670047. [Epub ahead of print]