Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Hopefully someone has cultured this?

Holly McSpadden

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 6:17:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: lump in breast

TIA. I have permission to post. My fellow LC and I have been helping this client for a couple of weeks. History is as follows:
Second time mother. Breastfeeding without difficulties. Five weeks ago, she developed a lump in her Left breast, outer lower quadrant, went to OB who diagnosed mastitis and put her on dicloxacillin. A week later, she was worse and was referred to the breast surgeon who did an incision and drainage for abcess. Kept her on the dicloxacillin. (I would have recommended something different as clearly she did not improve from it the first round). One week and a few days later, she was still worse and had emergency surgery and had another incision and 2 Penrose drains. She noted after that surgery, she had a small oval shaped lump in the inner lower quadrant. Ultrasound done and small pocket of fluid, thought to be milk. This past week the MD's added clindamycin to her regime. She noted yesterday that second lump was larger, extra large egg in size and is now more painful. Repeat ultrasound today, still fluid, Surgeon told her that she could not drain the area as it was too spongy, not like a filled balloon like the abcess had been. She is taking ibuprofen and tylenol round the clock. She is a 34 DDD. I advised reclining to help with any swelling and edema that may be causing more pain. Breast surgeon told her we would have to wait and see if it develops into an abcess. This mother is not pumping that affected side anymore and has not in over 2 weeks. She is exclusively feeding/pumping the right side without problems.

This mother is exhausted and painful. What else can I recommend to her? I suggested cold compresses to relieve inflammation and pain. I suggested probiotics weeks ago.

Allyson Michaels, RN, MSN, IBCLCVirginia, USA

Archives: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.lsoft.com%2Farchives%2FLACTNET.html&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C939bb090bacb4f2e738908d9f722c007%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637812550894672876%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=ITKwoA%2FQUteyVCCVvGOMPnhwnVGBZTp3%2F2lSR08eCTU%3D&amp;reserved=0
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2