From:
"Shamblin, Tricia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 01:55:24 +0000
I just give people the passage from the American College of Radiology's manual on Contrast Media. It's pages 102 and 103. The Radiologists should be following their own governing body's recommendations (but they don't!)

https://www.acr.org/Clinical-Resources/Contrast-Manual

They say it's limited studies, but they consider it safe. Most radiologists are not keeping up with current research unfortunately. I find that even when you give them the information, most will say that "they aren't taking any chances."

There are many good examples though of hospitals that have current best practices. Yale University hospital is one of them.

http://radiology.yale.edu/patientcare/policies/breastfeeding.aspx

The things that would require temporary cessation of breastfeeding would be things such as Radionuclide compounds like radioactive iodine. Although I hear that it is possible to freeze the milk and wait for the radiation to dissipate and then have it safely given to the baby.

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

(I think it should be #TIMESUP with regard to women's health care!)

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.