Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:58:00 -0400
Hi all
I think I mentioned this before but I see the effort to identify honey via pollen inclusions is a fool's errand. For example, in the US wine is often labeled with the varietal. There are regs as to what percentage of non-varietal wine is allowed. This is detected chiefly by flavor. I don't know if there is enforcement

Using a grape variety name on an American wine label is not mandatory,
but many wineries and bottlers choose to show this information.

The wine must be made from a minimum percentage of the grape varietal.
you may use the name of a single grape variety on a label as the type designation of a wine if :
75 percent or more of the wine is made from the named grape variety; and
the entire 75 percent of the named grape variety was grown in the labeled appellation of origin.

two exceptions from the 75 percent rule:
Wine made from any Vitis labrusca variety may use the name of the grape variety on the label if:
51 percent or more of the wine is made from the named grape variety; and
the entire qualifying percentage of the named grape variety was grown in the labeled appellation of origin.

Wine made from any grape variety that the appropriate TTB officer finds to be
too strongly flavored at the 75 percent minimum may be labeled with the grape variety if:
51 percent or more of the wine is made from the named grape variety; and
the entire qualifying percentage of the named grape variety was grown in the labeled appellation of origin.

ΒΆ

this is a pretty good guideline for honey. If it's 75% say, buckwheat, that seems fair enough. It's hard enough to keep one honey separate from another when extracting, let alone in the field. Secondly, if it's too strong at 75%, blending in other hand seems reasonable, as the flavor is the important thing with honey, and presumably with wine (there may be other things that wine buffs obsess over).

Peter L Borst