Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2019 06:02:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
a Jerry Bromenshenk snip followed by > my comment...
Gene has yet to tell me what caused that language to be put into their bee law.

>I can not really seem to find out the 'why' of this law. It seems like this is fairly common in that down the road when everyone's memory has faded, no one can tell you why 'this or that' phrase was slipped into the the law.

>I shall add here (given the context of the thread) that there is 'the law' and then there is the 'application of the law'. Those with a literal mind and no historical context seem to get hung up on 'the law'... when in practice this law is rarely if ever enforced < ie there is no will or mechanism set up to enforce the law. As an example there was a law in Texas# concerning the selling of honey and 'the literal' minded got all twisted up in this and due to their INEXPERIENCE made a big scene in front of the legislature a couple of years ago.  In practice there was little or no enforcement of this law and no mechanism to enforce the law (any action was usually driven by a consumer complaint). The legislature in all their conservative wisdom (ie knee jerk reaction to gossip) brought forth a 'cottage food' law which accomplished nothing# beside allowing folks to sell honey here in Texas (sold as 'local') that may come from anywhere and in the worst case may not even be honey. We (ie The Texas Beekeeper's Association... known here as the TBA) has a program via pollen identification and NMR technology to try and weed out the imposters < this lab work and technology application is not cheap and will quickly be a cost past on to all consumers although at this point the cost is subsidized via grant money. Expectedly there will even be 'cheaters' within this program.

>#in the prior law there was actually an exemption in the Ag Law in the selling of ag products directly to the consumer.  As such this exception was in contradiction to the food safety law but did allow an individual to sell any non processed ag product directly to the consumer. So you would see along the roads in Texas various ag producers selling this or that with NO government permit required or notice unless some consumer complained.  After the new law was enacted the food safety folks say they have no legal right to even react to a complaint by consumer..

Gene in Central Texas....      

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2