From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:59:44 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

s2s is an always fascinating subject. Dr. Susan Ludington-Hoe gave a course
yearly about Kangaroo Care. The one I attended was co-facilitated by
Barbara Morrison, CNM, PNP.  What a treat to have two experts talk about
the topic.

The examination for the certification was open book.  Few in the large
class took it seriously, "Oh, an open book test. . .that will be easy."
Ha. One-third of the class passed by only one question. Her intention was
that we all learn enough about kangaroo care to be the local expert.

I saw her speak at an LLLI conference in Washington, DC, 1997.  She told us
that her laboratory was sabotaged twice by animal rights activists who were
imagining the torture of baby kangaroos. So she started calling it
skin-to-skin care in her research.

Dr. Ludington put together the world's largest bibliography about s2s.: the
most recent version is 2018:

http://www.kangaroocareusa.org/uploads/KCBIB2018.pdf

I have been re-reading Ashley Montague's book too.

Other great reads in a closely related field is Dr. Kerstin
Uvnäs-Moberg's books about oxytocin, The Oxytocin Factor, the Hormone of
Closeness,  Why Oxytocin Matters, and Oxytocin: the Biological Guide to
Mothering.

warmly,
--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC, RYT
Reviews Editor,* Clinical Lactation*