From:
Fogelmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 13:56:03 +0200
My dear wise friends,

I am a nurse and LC in a maternity ward. We have a protocol for treating
women with post spinal headaches which includes 200 mg caffeine at least
twice a day. The caffeine is very helpful for treating these poor suffering
women. Recently we had a patient receive caffeine IV though generally they
receive it in pills.

It had recently come to my attention that the official stance in the
hospital is to tell women receiving caffeine that they are not allowed to
breastfeed until 15 hours after the last dose.  I have looked it up on
e-lactancia which says that doses greater than 300 - 500 mg a day can cause
irritability and insomnia in the infant while pointing out another study
that found no problems in infants whose mothers consumed 500 mg of caffeine
daily for 5 days.

I would like to know what the protocol is other hospitals regarding
caffeine and breastfeeding.

Thank you so much,
Chayn in Israel