From:
Julie Tardos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2020 22:00:44 -0700
Way back in late 1970, my mother was walking down the street obviously
pregnant.  A woman approached her and invited her to a La Leche League
meeting.  She went.  She read the book.  My dad read the book too.  Also,
they did Lamaze, and my dad was there when I was born.  My mom breastfed me
for 6 months, which was rare in 1971.  She says I just refused one day.  I
suspect that they were feeding me solid food to the degree that I wasn't
hungry enough to nurse.  Solid food was really pushed early back then.
When my brother was born two years later, he was sick and stayed in the
NICU for two weeks.  Our mother had more trouble breastfeeding him and did
not last for 6 months. I don't know what he was sick with at birth, but I
do know that our mother was (is) diabetic, and he weighed over 9 pounds.
Probably something related to that, but I don't know.  Two weeks seems like
a lot for blood sugar issues.  I'm sure he was on formula the entire time.

So I breastfed my kids because my mother had.  But for an average of 3
years each.  Taking a class really helped!  (In the past 8 years, I've had
maybe 2 clients who took a prenatal breastfeeding class.)

Julie Tardos