From:
Holly Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 09:58:59 -0400
I feel I am seeing more moms with low supply despite best practice/effort AND hypoplastic breasts/IGT. Could be that I'm just seeing higher numbers because more moms are breastfeeding.  Is it a generation exposed to chemicals?  So many factors involved. Whatever the reason, it is so discouraging to not be able to helps those moms so motivated to exclusively BF.  Especially to view those typical IGT breast presentations when you have just convinced a young low income mother that has delivered a premie to start pumping and she is actually excited after hearing the health benefits of her own milk:(

My curiosity about the results of chemical exposure to the fetus during our moms' OWN time in utero got piqued after listening to a very interesting podcast that my husband (my biggest supporter!) and I first heard on a road trip while listening to public radio.

"Join us for an award-winning series, Breasts Unbound, for a revealing journey into everyone’s favorite organ. Host Florence Williams travels from Houston to Hollywood to the boob-shaped hills of Northern England to share the big and small story of breasts – why we have them, how we view them, and why they sometimes do weird things. Turns out, breasts have a lot to teach us."  Google "Breasts Unbound podcast" for download.

It's funny, fascinating, head-shaking, educational, ridiculous, historical, sad and sweet all wrapped up in one series!  Episode 4 discusses research on fetal rat exposure to environmental chemicals that are endocrine disruptors making the breast tissue more susceptible to cancer and causing poor glandular development.  Certainly makes you think and want the research to pick up the pace!

On a more positive note, I stopped by a CVS after work this last week still in uniform and the young man at the register asked me what IBCLC stood for.  After a short conversation about my job and busting a couple of his breastfeeding myth questions (which I was thrilled he asked), he said from now on, when he sees a pregnant women, he's going to ask them if they have thought about breastfeeding!!!

Always appreciate the knowledge this group shares!

Holly Prescott RN BSN IBCLC