From:
Stephanie George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:28:25 -0400
Shekoli:

We cannot recommend herbs, but we can become knowledgeable about their use.
Most of my clients use traditional herbal medicine from the medicine woman
we work with and with whom we have some training. She has generations of
teachings and knowledge. A good herbalist, traditional or western, will ask
what else a mom is taking to ensure the herbs won't cause unwanted
interactions. They will talk about signs to watch for if the medicine isn't
working and when western medicines may have to be brought in.

Stating our biases is always a healthy way of providing care.

As a species, humans were cured and kept alive by our original medicines -
herbs (including flowers, roots, seeds, etc) and breastmilk. Advances in
western-type medicine have been excellent, too, but for some people they do
not want to use that first. We must respect that.

I don't know what is in the medicines that our traditional medicine person
uses. I know it is safe. I know that how she treats mastitis, thrush,
differing mom/baby infections, GDM, depression, etc works because I have
seen it with my own eyes.

One thing I love about being and LC is working with various other health
providers to get the mom the best care possible, be it herbs, western, OT,
PT, reiki, etc. There are many ways to be healed and find wellness.