Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:53:27 +0000
From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Barbara says:
"I was teaching this weekend and one of my students told me that "we",the lactation professionals, are no longer suggesting cool forengorgement. She also said PT is moving away from using cool as well.She didn't offer an alternative. She is taking another lactationtraining and that is what they said. I ask for her source on this, toshare what research this is based upon which I am waiting for. She theytold her that cool could impact milk supply which makes no sense to me.She pointed out we use cool when weaning or drying up milk for moms whochoose not the breastfeed but I always felt this was for comfort, thecool didn't impact the breastmilk supply.I want to be as up to date as possible and I have heard nothing aboutthis. Is this just miss-information on the other course director's partor am I behind the times?She also told me that Montgomery glands secrete breastmilk, not justoil. I just want to know what is actually true because I had not readthis before."
Barbara, this is news to me too.  I'd love to hear the research behind "cool" impacting milk supply.   Now, if "cool cabbage compresses" are applied 24/7 without pumping/breastfeeding, yes, that can dry up the milk more quickly than doing nothing.  But it isn't the "cool" that is doing it, it's the cabbage.  Two hours on/two hours off works beautifully, along with breastfeeding/pumping frequently.  One of my favorite slides is a really old one with an engorged mom using a hand pump with a bag of frozen peas across the top of her breasts.

Truthfully, there isn't a lot of research on engorgement -- have always felt that it was the stepchild of lactation....
And I am curious -- how many folks leaked milk from their Montgomery glands?
Inquiring minds.....
Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCALactation Education Consultants