From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2019 06:54:57 -0600
So lots of good ideas in this thread so far. I also used the balloon
(thanks, Diane W.) to great effect. Very useful to find out in the
beginning what the class is most interested in/worried about - it can
change from class to class. The most important thing is to keep it as
intimate and personal as possible. I taught these classes for many years.
In the beginning, as a fledgeling IBCLC, I was excited to share all of my
knowledge with these parents - lots of handouts, slides (later, powerpoint)
- very professional (!) - tried to cram in as much as possible. But what I
found over the years was that the most benefit seemed to be had by sitting
in a semi-circle with no slides, just a few props as suggested by others
here. They needed most to know what it would be like in those early days
with a new baby, understanding it was normal and even preferable to nurse A
LOT in the beginning. They needed a few positioning techniques (nowadays, I
would work first with laid-back), knowing what a good latch looked and felt
like, poops and pees, when to seek out help. Very basic. Being a scientist,
I was very caught up in all the biology of breasts and lactation, but
although many parents might find some of it quite interesting, I don't
think it was time well spent, especially if you are talking about a one-off
class. Be honest with them about both the joys and the difficulties. Send
them home with a handout that hits the hight points. Give them good
resources to visit on the internet or books/videos to buy for themselves if
they are so inclined. Make sure they know how to access post-partum
support. A little humor can also go a long way towards keeping the class
participants engaged. Once you do some classes, you will get a feel for
what works best and what doesn't - read the body language.  Have fun -
teaching is a blast!

Sharon Knorr, BSMT(ASCP), Breastfeeding USA counselor
Colorado, USA