From:
Sonya Myles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2019 00:17:40 -0400
I work with babies like this all the time. Here is my approach:

First bottle feed baby and then bring baby to the breast (finish at the breast method of supplementation - see lowmilksupply.org)
I do this to ensure positive messaging at the breast, and to take the stress of feeding baby away
I ask mom to not even try and latch baby, just hold the baby with their head on moms breast

Then after about 3 or 4 days I try and latch baby and see how things go. Often at that point baby will have self latched.

A nipple shield can also be useful in this scenario
I always ask mom to offer a "naked" breast before and after every feed with a nipple shield

My key message is that no one learns if baby is crying at the breast, so pushing breastfeeding in a situation where mom and baby are both stressed is not a win win. Babies do their best work when they are relaxed and happy. We also want to try and trigger their biological reflexes and instincts to breastfeed. As such, the only position I use when working with moms is biological nurturing (see biologicalnurturing.com)

Typically I have good success with these babies, it just takes a bit of time.

Hope that helps,
Sonya