Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 May 2017 19:45:36 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Here is the complete description of bees moving eggs

Last June and July, I re-queened 160 colonies of Dutch bees with pure mated Italians from postal cages. I found careful inspection necessary since the majority of Dutch colonies persist in building queen cells even after the removal of the cells at first and second inspections.

On opening a hive my procedure was to inspect the queen cage situated between two top bars and see if the bees had bitten away the candy and released the queen.

Hive after hive was successfully re-queened before my attention was drawn to something quite unusual : it was finding the candy of the queen cage untouched ; the queen having been placed in the hive twenty-two days before, and the colony was apparently working happily.

Removing the cage with a small cluster of bees, one of which was carrying an egg, I found the queen very much alive though her original attendants were dead.

To have seen a worker conveying an egg very much in the manner an ant will convey a pupa, was still almost to be disbelieved until I made an inspection of the brood combs below. Here, midst the milling throng of dark Dutch bees were a few very young, brightly coloured bees, obviously having emerged a few hours earlier, and more young Italians actually emerging from their cells.

Why the queen was never released is hard to understand since the paper covering the candy had been slightly chewed at the sides.

The eggs deposited in cells were extremely irregular in their adherement, there wasn't the general uniformity which is so noticeable where eggs are laid in quick succession by a queen.

N. C. K. HASLAM, Hillingdon, Middx.
Bee Craft, May 1950