Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 May 2017 07:34:48 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
* New work just out has several key points:

> Varroa control in managed hives is increasingly difficult, and perhaps not possible with current commercial beekeeping practices.  Now, five to seven miticide applications are needed and colony losses still average >30%.

> To test if colonies could theoretically coexist with varroa if there was yearly swarming, we conducted VARROAPOP simulations of infested colonies with and without swarming.

> Colonies survived and mite populations remained at low levels for the 5-yr period when there was swarming. The ability of colonies to coexist with mites for long periods is supported by field observations of feral bees that nest in small cavities and swarm regularly. The colonies have fewer varroa, less disease, and higher survival rates than colonies that did not swarm.

* A nice summary of what beekeepers do to inhibit swarming was included:

> Beekeepers reduce swarming by adding more wax comb to hives with expanding populations or by splitting populous colonies.

* The title of the work (one of the longest titles I have seen):

Are Dispersal Mechanisms Changing the Host–Parasite Relationship and Increasing the Virulence of Varroa destructor (Mesostigmata: Varroidae) in Managed Honey Bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies?
by Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman,  Fabiana Ahumada,  and Henry Graham
Environmental Entomology, 2017, 1–10