Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:42:18 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I'm reading with interest the study published by Geddes in 2016 regarding sucking patterns,  nutritive sucking, nonnutritive sucking. 
"Suck-Swallow-Breathe Dynamics in Breastfed Infants - Vanessa S. Sakalidis, Donna T. Geddes, 2016" https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0890334415601093
It seems there's not strong evidence for the idea of 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 suck swallow ratio. Interesting. Would live opinions. The pattern of this two phase sucking that is described, seems to be describes sucking after onset of mature milk production. Am I wrong? Does this apply to newborns during colostrum production? It never really says.

It's a shame that still so little is known about this time. So many of us work in the hospital. We rarely see this type of breastfeeding here. Or should we observe for NS & NNS on day one? What type of pattern is normal on day one? 
I really dislike the term NNS being used with the mothers and instead I say stimulating sucks and swallowing sucks. It seems to imply to them that the baby isn't getting milk. So many have become obsessed with milk transfer lately, to the point where they aren't able to relax and just enjoy breastfeeding. 
Thank you,
Tricia Shamblin, RN, BSN, IBCLC

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2