HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:11:23 -0400
In April of 2016 Mark Kostro wrote
Mark Kostro [log in to unmask] via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> asu.edu
4/19/16
to HISTARCH
Meg,

Between 2012 and 2014 we recovered 46 slate pencil fragments from
plow-disturbed contexts at the 1760-5 Bray School site in Williamsburg, Va
--  roughly a quarter of all the slate pencil fragments that have ever been
recovered in Williamsburg.  The Bray school was a charity school run the
London-based philanthropy, the Associates of Dr. Bray, established for the
purchase of providing religious instruction to free and enslaved African
American children in Williamsburg.  I have used the pencil fragments to
suggest that writing was taught at the school, although some historians
have been quick to point out that writing instruction is not mentioned in
any of the lengthy correspondence between the Bray School's trustees in
Williamsburg and the Associates of Dr. Bray in London.

Best,
Mark

--

*Bill Liebeknecht* *ǀ Regional Manager*
Office - 302.691.3216 ǀ Cell- 856-448.2566 ǀ Fax- 302.691.3527

721 Philadelphia Pike, Wilmington, Delaware 19809-2539

300 Central Road, Suite 200, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
*Knowing the Past — Building the Future*
*www.dovetailcrg.com* <http://www.dovetailcrg.com/>