From:
Amanda Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2017 12:41:24 +0100
Hi Barbara,

I wonder if some kangaroo care, preferably skin to skin, would help here. Could someone show them how to use a thin stretchy wrap if they don't already have a plan for hands free carrying? (Many sling libraries here in the UK are even offering a month's free hire of these wraps for newborns/newly discharged babies.) It'd be great for milk supply and quickly responding to baby's cues and will also better simulate the womb environment (good for temperature regulation, hearing maternal heartbeat and voice more than surrounding noise). Now that she's home, this could also keep the mother's hands free for the other children, etc.

All the best,
Amanda Smith, RN (NICU), IBCLC, Babywearing Peer Supporter

Dear Wise Ones,
I have a preterm baby, born at 30ish weeks, they couldn't quite make up
their minds as to how old she was, who is not 37 weeks old gesationally.
She is home now, other than some decells while feeding she really didn't
have any health issues.
She, of course in my area, left the hospital fully bottle feed but
happily with mother's pumped milk.
We are transitioning her to the breast and this is going well.
My question is that the baby gets very stressed with noise and action. I
know this is normal, she expects to still be in the womb, but she has
three brothers aged 5.5, 3.5, and 2 who are very loud in a little
apartment. Reality. They were buying their new house when this little
one showed up early.
When she gets stressed, she shuts down or screams. She won't feed which
doesn't scare the mother but then takes up a lot of time "trying" to
feed the baby. The baby is gaining well. The mom tries to make feeding
as quiet as possible but this is not always possible.
So, I am looking for tips to help with this. Of course, quiet when
possible. What about little baby ear covers? I had a client send me a
photo of her small baby at a concert wearing what looked like head phones.
Other ideas? Thank you so much in advance!

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor