Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:46:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (68 lines)
Yes, an oversupply could certainly lead to digestive upsets.  Is the baby gassy when he gets a bottle of pumped milk as well as when he is taking the milk for himself? 

The vast majority of breastfeeding mothers just eat what they eat.  Does "gassy" mean the baby is just noisy, or the baby is screamingly unhappy?

Dairy tends to be the biggest offender, but the diet she is describing does have plenty of potentially allergenic foods -- the common allergens tend to be dairy, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish and possibly citrus/tomatoes, and possibly chocolate.  
Packaged granola bars and commercial bread could possibly have wheat, eggs, dairy, casein, whey solids, nuts, soy etc. and she says she's having nuts and peanut butter. 

Spices don't tend to be the issue, and it's rarely vegetables, despite what she's been told about cabbage and broccoli.  

Elimination diets are tough because it's hard enough to get something to eat when you have a young baby.  And the potential allergens are all very common foods that mothers tend to eat every day all year round.    Sometimes it helps to really focus on what she can eat -- planning, shopping (or sending someone with a list) and filling the house with food with low allergy potential (such as people tend to start solids with -- though holding off on allergens is up for debate)  -- foods she likes reasonably well, but that she doesn't eat commonly, for a two week experiment to see "is it something I'm eating?."   If the baby isn't any happier after weeks of a complete, label-reading dairy elimination, then perhaps that isn't the problem.  Sometimes mothers stay on elimination diets when it isn't solving the issue.

Allergy websites have more ideas and menus -- if she makes big pots of food and soups, she can quickly heat up a bowl.  Sometimes it helps her morale to see this as a two-week experiment, after which she'll start adding foods back and watching for a reaction.  And she's not thinking about what she is not eating, because there's always something to grab and eat -- even if a bit unconventional --- a sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper as a snack.  If she roasts  a turkey or a leg of lamb, she can feed of that for several day (and using the drippings over the rice), and salmon in likely ok.   A few ideas: avocados, sweet potatoes, quinoa, white potatoes, all kinds of squashes, rice, wild rice (and rice crackers or pastas--watch for soy or corn) millet, amaranth, teff, root vegetables, pears, peaches, lettuce, green leafies, sunflower-seed butter (a reasonable approximation of peanut butter), etc.   It helps to minimize packaged foods -- a pear tends to be a pear, but the processed foods can have wheat/soy/corn/dairy under multi-syllable names.

We all fall into food ruts and tend to eat the same things -- while humans have covered the planet because we're a weed species that eats everything in our path -- so maybe it's the lack of variety in our food ways that contributes to the allergy issues.

Margaret Wills, IBCLC, Maryland, USA

> Diet: I have elimated dairy for 4 weeks on Wednesday. I elimated spices in
> cooking for 2 weeks. Right now we are only using an Italian blend on lunch
> and dinner. I drink about 2 cups of coffee and don't drink any more after
> noon.  I do eat granola bars and dark chocolate. I usually have eggs, multi
> grain bread with peanut butter or cereal with oat/almond milk for
> breakfast.  I have been eating a lot of almonds as snacks. I don't eat fake
> sugars.   I'm running out of ideas for what to eliminate and food is really
> bland at this point.
> 
> Breast feeding: Because I will have to go back on the meds that I cant
> breast feed on soon, I am trying to stockpile as much milk as I can. I
> usually feed the baby then pump 15- 60 minutes later depending on the hour
> of the day. I pump enough for a bottle for brian's evening feeding then
> freeze the rest. One breast fills up much more than the other so I let the
> baby start on that smaller side and pump from that smaller one longer. I
> pump the larger one just until it feels comfortable because I was having
> painful let down which has stopped.
> Any recommendations?
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of LACTNET Digest - 28 Jan 2017 to 30 Jan 2017 (#2017-32)
> *************************************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2