From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2019 01:14:06 -0600
So Theresa, I have no idea how common this might be. As for culturing, I
think it would be very difficult. The best course of action may be a course
of antibiotics and see what happens. if the pain goes away, then a
bacterial infection may have been the issue. I would point out that many
antibiotics also have an anti-inflammatory affect so may provide some
relief even before any bacterial infection is knocked down. There is also
the possibility of treating with probiotics in order to reestablish a
healthy microbiome in the breast, although not sure what kind of probiotics
one would use - the more we study probiotics, the more we realize that we
don't totally understand how they work or even if they help at all in most
situations. There is also the possibility that the mother has developed a
pain syndrome that remains even after the infection is gone - sometimes
pain pathways remain stimulated even when it seems like they should have
calmed down.

Sharon