From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2016 06:28:25 -0500
One of my students asked me a question, that stumped me.  We know how
important the vaginal birth process is, to providing an infant exposure to
its parent's vaginal and fecal bacteria.  We know that some lucky families
having c-sections are also having their newly-bortn baby's moth and face
swiped with a gauze or cotton swab that has been exposed to the parent's
vaginal secretions.  We know that babies laid skin-to-skin after any type
of birth are quickly colonized with the parent's bacteria found on the
skin, smooching lips, and hands.

So what about the baby born in a caul?

All I have found as I research this topic are other people asking the same
Q.  And many of those sources surmise, as do I, that the
birth-canal-bacteria smeared on the exterior of the sac will find their way
to the baby once the caul is broken or opened.

Do any of you have a more educated guess than I?

--
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA