From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2017 09:10:21 -0500
Steph's post on Traditional Medicine is excellent, thank you for writing
it.  I feel it is important to respect and honor tradition and cultural
background, and modern science is not the only answer.  I ask mothers what
foods are used in their culture of origin to increase and protect milk supply
and encourage them to use those foods or teas.  Over the years I've learned
that walnuts are eaten for supply in Czechoslovakia, fenugreek in India, and
 fish soup in Japan, the latter made by baby's grandma and reluctantly
eaten by  baby's mother who whispered to me how awful it was.  Book learning and
 researched-based information is important but so is listening and hearing
and  consideration of what the client has to offer.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC