From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:32:55 +1000
Although most Lactnet members are in the US, Lactnet is an international community. Mostly the preponderance of US people on Lactnet is not a problem, although it can get tedious sometimes that it is assumed that non-Americans must understand American culture, history, language and issues….actually, often we do (usually because we have had no choice) but sometimes we don’t or we just see things differently. However, in the case of any resource it can matter to those of us who are outside the US whether a resource is American or not. Especially when one is explicitly and overtly developed for the American context the likelihood of the resource being unhelpful is increased. So while I agree with you Liz that learning about race and racism being a very, very worthwhile thing to do I disagree with you that a resource like the one you link to is likely to be the most helpful for those of us outside of the US to use.
Karleen Gribble
Australia