From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:42:26 +1200
Hello all

Permission to post.
I have a client with one "normal" breast and one "super-producer" breast.
The more active breast grew dramatically during pregnancy.

Her 4 week old baby is putting on heaps of weight, about 300g per week, but
is miserable and gassy with explosive green stools.  Coincidently, as well
as not being able to comfort suck, she seems very intense and sensitive to
any small stimulus and now has to be fed in a quiet, dark room.  No one in
the family is happy right now.

The mum had already been doing block feeding for 12 hours before we met,
and I shared Gonneke's paper with her:
and also Nancy's article
http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/articles/2013/10/9/block-feeding-dos-donts.html?rq=block%20feeding

She commenced on the full drainage yesterday morning and the baby had the
classic calm feed and long sleep afterwards, which was a great start. : -)
 The mum chose to use 6 hour blocks and said that the baby was choking and
spluttering for the last couple of feeds again of that 6 hour block, but
that the day had gone slightly better than usual.  This is from her latest
email:

"With the block feeding should I have 2 uneven blocks of time, 6hrs on my
breast that fills more and 3 hours on the normal one? Or should I do 6
hours for both to try and encourage even  calibration?"

My own question is whether she should have pumped out the "normal" breast
at all.

I'll share with her some other tips I've found through the archives, like
the Milk Shake and potentially using the scissors hold for the OAMER, but
I'm really curious to hear if others have seen mothers cope with such
lop-sided breasts.

Jacquie Nutt IBCLC