Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2016 19:03:38 +0000
From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
cc: Malka Weldler <[log in to unmask]>
Malka

It's good that this mom has your support.  The combination of infant
fussiness, long feeding times, breast refusal, no bowel movement for
about 24 hours and mother struggling to feed the baby would ring red
alarm bells for me. The most likely cause of this particular
combination of behaviours would be that the baby is not transferring
enough milk.  Perhaps you could look at the baby's birthweight and
her weight now.  She should have lost not more than 7% by Day 3, and
should subsequently be gaining at the rate of about one ounce (30g)
per day, ie she should have gained 120g over the weight recorded on Day 3.

If this is not happening, then it might be a good idea for mom to
breastfeed for shorter times and top the baby up with pumped
milk.  If you can let us have the numbers I'm sure fellow Lactnetters
can make suggestions as to how much.  If the baby is transferring 3
oz at a time, then I guess we'd also need to know how often, ie the
total 24 hour intake.

Even though this might sound overly pessimistic, the good news would
be that you've identified a potential problem promptly, which is much
easier to fix than leaving it for several weeks.  The mom will be in
the time of maximum milk production now (has there been any
engorgement, and if so, how was it resolved?) when it is easier to
provide effective interventions.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England