Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:06:31 +0100
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Cathy

Thanks so much for that further info about gape
and latch.  Particularly that the tongue info -
that the tip of the tongue needs to touch the
breast - is based on your own practice, photos
and experience.  I'm looking forward to my next
latching difficulty so that I can have another
look for this too :-)   We can never stop
learning!!  It could be that I have this already
on my subliminal checklist, since I find it
essential to stand/sit at the _side_ when working
with a mom with a difficult-to-latch baby - and
the most important thing (besides, for me, the
nipple going _up_ into the palate) is the
placement of the baby's lower jaw on the
underside of the areola.... and of course the
tongue is over the lower gum.... and to get the
mouthful and then the magic moment when the baby
latches and doesn't lose the mouthful, it could
well be that I intuitively checked for what
you've seen without really noticing!  But now
I'll be actively looking for it. Thank you!!

Meanwhile, a very kind and gracious colleague
just gifted me a copy of Susan Meintz Maher's
Overview of Solutions to Sucking Problems, and
what a veritable goldmine of information it is -
full of so many tricks and tips and strategies to
resolve latching difficulties and a hundred other
problems - it's been so long since I read it I'd
forgotten just how many tools in my IBCLC toolbox
this author is responsible for!  On palatal
stimulation she says (page 18) “….the baby should
grasp enough of the breast so that the nipple
touches the roof of his mouth at the junction
between the hard and soft palates.  This is what triggers effective sucking….”

Clearly I took this information to heart.  I've
taught moms how to latch babies, at the breast
direct or with a shield, and moms and dads and
helpers to calm babies with an upturned finger or
with dummies/pacifiers, or bottle-feed, or
finger-feed, by directing the stimulation to the
palate and not the tongue, and yes, that does
definitely work.  In fact I've found that placing
the stimulus on the tongue will fail to trigger
the latch and may in fact trigger the gag reflex
if the stimulus is placed too far back and
downwards (on the tongue) rather than up (on the
palate).  My observation is that continued
terrier-like rooting shows that the baby is still
looking for something to suck, often they will
arch backwards and even further backwards as they
seek that stimulus.  Could this be the reflex
seeking that Suzanne Coulson has described in baby-led latching??  Maybe....

I remain intrigued by whatever is necessary to
help non-latching babies.  If the baby can't
attach to the breast, then breastfeeding simply
can't take place, so it's crucial.  Thanks Cathy
for sharing this further technique!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England