From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:43:44 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

I don't know if this study identified all the 9 samples. I believe, from
what I have read and what I have been told, that it is impossible to
manufacture powder in a sterile process. Besides cronobacter, PIF has found
to contain salmonella and clostridia.

J Pediatr. 2010 Mar;156(3):402-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2009.09.072. Epub
2009 Dec 9.

Presence of soil-dwelling clostridia in commercial powdered infant formulas.
Barash JR1, Hsia JK, Arnon SS.

OBJECTIVE:
Because Clostridium botulinum was isolated from powdered infant formula
(PIF) fed to an infant in the United Kingdom who subsequently developed
infant botulism and from unopened PIF from the same manufacturer, we tested
PIF manufactured in the United States for the presence of clostridial
spores.

STUDY DESIGN:
Thirty PIF ingested by 19 California infants with botulism within 4 weeks
of onset of illness (48% of all patients fed PIF during study) in 2006-2007
were cultured anaerobically to isolate clostridia. All isolated clostridia
were identified to the species level and enumerated with standard
microbiologic and molecular methods.

RESULTS:
Five of 30 (17%) PIF samples ingested by patients contained clostridial
spores. Spores were also found in 7 of 9 (78%) market-purchased PIF
samples. Clostridium sporogenes was isolated most frequently, followed by
Clostridium butyricum and at least 10 other soil-dwelling clostridial
species. No neurotoxigenic clostridia were isolated. The most probable
number of clostridial spores in PIF ranged between 1.1 to >23 per 100 g.

CONCLUSIONS:
With the notable exception of production of botulinum neurotoxin, C
sporogenes is physiologically comparable with proteolytic strains of C
botulinum, and both share the same natural reservoir (soils and dust
worldwide). The isolation of C sporogenes and potentially pathogenic
clostridia from U.S.-manufactured PIF suggests that neurotoxigenic
clostridial spores have the potential to be present in these products.

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Reviews Editor,* Clinical Lactation*