From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:15:15 -0400
Yes, that was my exact point, but I await Peter's apparently divergent viewpoint on this.
I would not expect comb sterilization to have any impact on incidences of chalkbrood.

Actually, that is exactly the point I was trying to make with the example. Spent a lot of money on sterilizing equipment, got no benefit. It wasn't my idea, but since I worked at a research lab I was glad to be able to participate to see if it would work.

By the way I had to go to hell and back to get the right sized carton that would fit a deep super without any wiggle room (which might cause the carton to collapse or rip). Then, once the supers were bagged in heavy plastic they almost wouldn't fit in the cartons, since they were just the right size for the supers. The facility really did not want any honey leaking on their equipment -- I suppose they had already had a bit of trouble with that.

PLB