From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:29:56 -0400
On 29-Sep-15, at 9:29 AM, randy oliver wrote:

> Bill, I've used 1" blue styrofoam insulation board

I leave a 2" rim (similar to the ones that were recommended for
Miteaway 2 pads) on top of each hive, with a standard wood inner cover
on top, that has a top entrance cut into its rim.  2" blue styrofoam
is fitted snugly on top on the inner cover.  The hive is covered with
a black coreplast sleeve that slips down over the whole works.  The
moisture from the hive leaves via the top entrance, condensing and
sometimes freezing on the inside wall of the coreplast(used to use
cardboard sleeves) sleeve.  Never see any moisture inside the hives
which are mostly singles.

> I didn't see a problem with condensation in singles, since the bees
> kept
> the bottom of the insulation warm.  Thus condensate occurred on the
> side
> walls and ran out the entrancees.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario