From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2015 08:31:06 +0100
Hi Kika

I'm so glad to hear you're still trying to sort out the issues of
unresolved breast pain.  This is a really under-researched area, and
we need more answers.  You're asking some great questions that I
can't help with, unfortunately, but I'd like to add two points.

1.  When I was a busy LC in Harare, Zimbabwe, several doctors and I
came across women with on-going severe breast pain and/or nipple
pain, which seemed like Thrush (a popular diagnosis at the time), but
on culture the offending organism turned out to be Staphylococcus
Pyogenes.  This was so unusual that the first time it was identified
the lab requested another milk sample because they said that the
container must have been contaminated.  I eventually collected 14
cases, always meant to try and write them up as a paper, but never
did..... Treatment was with an appropriate antibiotic and it was
difficult - there was often no inflammation, just this excruciating
pain, described as like hot needles deep in the breast or having
ground glass on the nipples - and the doctor might have to prescribe
two or three courses of antibiotic before the pain finally resolved.

2.  To add to Virginia's excellent post on spinal injury as a cause
of breast pain, I recently had a client who complained on and on
about blocked ducts, describing breast pain, but no other symptoms
consistent with over-production or blockages - in fact her baby had
been quite underweight and she was working hard to increase her milk
supply.  Eventually her GP diagnosed costochondritis.  I'd never
heard of it!   But I found this info
at
<http://www.patient.co.uk/health/costochondritis>http://www.patient.co.uk/health/costochondritis
"In costochondritis, there is inflammation in either the
costochondral, costosternal or sternoclavicular joints (or a
combination). This causes pain and tenderness, that tends to be worse
with movement and pressure."  The doctor suggested ibuprofen for
pain, and to stop hunching over while she breastfed her
baby!!!  Something I'd suggested too, but obviously not strongly enough!

Warm regards

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England

---