From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2015 21:55:10 -0700
Liz Brooks asks: Why in the heck would a hospital, with IBCLCs on staff no less, rely on a commercial manufacturer of anything to be the source for materials about healthcare, breastfeeding and expression, given to employees and patients?  Surely the IBCLCs on staff can come up with a decent one-pager about BFg management, or safe skin-to-skin, or hands-on pump use....

And as an LC who makes Home Visits and has moms come to my home as a La Leche League Leader...can I tell you that all those pretty brochures and handouts usually end up in the closet to be found months later...or thrown away.  So unless you have a SHORT and very SPECIFIC handout - save your money, your printing, your storage, etc.

My League group used to have a magnificent library - with a lot of beautiful books - but as they don't get checked out, I have learned that this generation of mothers would rather get a link to a website that has information when they want/need it.  The day after a meeting, I send an e-mail with links related to the topics we talked about at the last meeting.  Hospital IBCLCs can create their own list of "favorites" and send them directly to the mom's phone, avoiding costs of time, waste of paper, etc.

In fact, mothers are more likely to respond and reach out via Facebook, WhatsApp or text messages.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA
...Looking forward to the ILCA Conference next month - 30 years!