Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:30:12 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
Jennifer Tow said: "I am stunned that anyone who advocates for breastfeeding would support the message of the Similac ad."

As one of the persons who responded, I thought I'd clarify - I do NOT "support the message" of the Similac ad.  I believe that there are many moms who feel they have been treated this way (or heard about it) both by other mothers and by Health Care Providers, LLLLeaders or IBCLCs, etc.  

Using this ad as a "teaching tool" might allow us to more quickly and clearly demonstrate to staff who may be using the "guilt" method of promoting breastfeeding examples of how harmful this could be.  

It is amazing to me how my words can be misunderstood.  I hope this helps.

I  got an e-mail from a mom that said in part:

" In the wee hours of Sunday morning I made the decision to supplement her with formula.  Of course I felt guilty!  After all of the pressure to do things naturally and then having nothing turn out the way I had envisioned! (She had planned natural childbirth, exclusive breastfeeding and ended up with a prolonged labor followed by a cesarean and terrible edema).  However, my child was hoarse from screaming and her lips and face were chapped and that's worse than people judging me! ... I'm hoping La Leche is supportive of supplementation. " 

She was so terrified to contact me for fear she would be scolded (even though she admitted in the note that when she was given my name in the hospital, and everyone "sang your praises"), that she did not write me until her baby was a week old!  

THAT's what I want to address!  Those of us who help with breastfeeding need to be using counseling skills more than showing off our skills – listening, asking open ended questions, validating and then teaching!

A similar way we should be treating each other on Lactnet!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Vacaville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2