From:
Kira Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2016 15:33:57 -0500
I have a client (and dear friend) whose baby has me stumped. First baby, full term, no nuchal cord, favorable position, precipitous birth with very short pushing phase, otherwise healthy. Mama has oversupply and overactive letdown.

Baby doesn't have a tongue tie.  I did a complete eval and got a second and even a third opinion from the best of the best in the area just because I kept going back to that.  But, nope.

Firstly, baby is so disorganized.  When checking with my finger, baby starts in with reverse perastalsis for one or two sucks, chomps around a bit and then just completely stop sucking even when coaxed.  I'd remove my finger and try again and, voila, everything was fine. This seems to be what happens on the breast as well, though it takes two or three times usually.

When latching, baby will not open it's mouth and instead slurps mamas nipple in.  Mama is using a shield because she has very short nipples and is in pain. The pain is a rug burn type of pain and is likely from the slurping because the chomping I felt wasn't really chomping, but more of a chomping motion, if that makes sense. Mama agrees.

Pterygoid muscles are really tight and even though baby was definitely in a great position for birth, Mama had one sided hip pain a lot during her third trimester making me think baby was not favorable for quite some time and might have suffered neck tightness because of it.   Thus the fake tie/ tie-like symptoms in the non-tied baby.

She is going to get baby adjusted by a chiro that also does CST, but if that doesn't work I'm really out of ideas on how in the heck to get this baby to open it's piehole.  Ideas?

Kira