From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2015 22:10:13 +0000
> On Sep 4, 2015, at 1:34 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Bill, I hear (and experience) the same story all over the country.  But
> there is a huge difference between so-called "natural" beekeepers and
> *neglectful* beekeepers.  Natural beekeepers who practice some sort (or
> combinations of) mite management can do fine, and deserve no criticism.

Not sure about that. Recent work tends to show that complete control of varroa is the best course of action to keep levels low. A more relaxed IPM strategy may not be wise in this case

Results point to a conflict between beekeeping practice
and the selection of Varroa resistant honey bees.

For many selection programs, colonies should be allowed
to host a number of mites sufficient to demonstrate
the capacity of the colony to control the growth
of the mite population (Buchler et al. 2010). Therefore,
Varroa treatments should not be performed too
early and should depend on colony infestation levels.

At least in regions with high bee densities, this will
significantly increase the number of mites within the
region and most likely, as a consequence, the Varroa
reinvasion pressure and horizontal transmission of
Varroa mites between colonies. Horizontal transmission
of a pathogen is assumed to favor the development
of a virulent host-parasite relationship (Fries
and Camazine 2001).

That is, Varroa mites that harm
or even kill their colony have a realistic chance to find
a new host colony for further reproduction. Hence,
high bee densities combined with ineffective treatment
will not only increase the risk of colony damage
but might also select for more virulent Varroa mites.

from:
Frey, Eva, and Peter Rosenkranz. "Autumn invasion rates of Varroa destructor (Mesostigmata: Varroidae) into honey bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) colonies and the resulting increase in mite populations." Journal of economic entomology107.2 (2014): 508-515.