From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2015 17:12:42 +0000

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well I was hoping someone would expound,  but I will just ask

> Would the methods mentioned here show "non eropean"  because I run Russian and Carnis,  as well as some of the potentially Africinized??

Morphometric tools can be used to identify pure strains when compared with other pure strains, but they cannot differentiate among hybrids. Deep sequencing of genomic data can reveal lineages but the cost is prohibitive for routine use. Here in the US, the populations are generally a mix of all the lineages that have been introduced into US. Some are more Africanized, some carry a lot of DNA from the early importations of Apis mellifera mellifera, but none is pure this or that.

In order to maintain some sort of genomic integrity, there has to be a barrier to gene flow, whether geographic (continents), physical (small vs large animals), behavioral (different mating times, or other preferences), and finally genomic — some species or subspecies mate but fertilization never occurs or offspring don’t develop, etc. Many sub-species and even some species, can cross despite these barriers. A new fern was discovered in France which is  a cross between two very different species.

> The hybrid fern—×Cystocarpium roskamianum—was found growing wild in the mountains of France and is sterile, but can reproduce itself vegetatively and grows well in cultivation.

Rothfels et al.'s finding that two fern lineages are still able to hybridize after nearly 60 million years of divergence is surprising evidence for an extraordinarily deep hybridization event—one that is roughly akin to an elephant hybridizing with a manatee, or a human with a lemur.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-million-years-fern-genera-hybrid.html#jCp