From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 07:54:47 +0000
Hi Sonya, how disappointing for you!  I think the concern about
referring on is a CYA issue..... if a paediatrician refers a patient
to another practitioner who then harms the baby, the paediatrician
him/herself can be held accountable for a proportion of the
liability... You did well to explain the safety and gentleness of the
procedures that can help...

For refs and more info, have you tried contacting Alison
Hazelbaker?  I recently had the opportunity to hear this pioneer
speak on tongue tie, lip tie, and other causes and resolutions of
sucking difficulties at the 8th Breastfeeding Congress in Bilbao,
Spain. Alison spoke about the possibilities of cranio-sacral
therapy/body work to resolve birth injuries which might lead to
dysfunctional suck and other problems which impact breastfeeding
effectiveness.  As some of you may know, I'm something of a tongue
tie dissident, and I have serious concerns about this diagnosis being
too readily applied..... But after listening carefully to Alison's
insightful sessions, which endorsed my concerns and offered
alternative aetiologies for what we see, and alternative remedies to
resolve the difficulties, I'm completely won over to the nuances of
which insult might cause what effect, and the value of referring on
to another therapist (not only a tongue tie practitioner) for body
work to resolve these difficulties.

Best wishes

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England

I had one of our pediatricians corner me today very concerned that
she had heard we might be suggesting to mothers that they should take
their babies to see an osteopath. She wasn't sure why we would even
suggest such a thing, so I explained to her how body work could
really help babies and that it is a very gentle non invasive
treatment. She suggested that we need research to back up my claim
that this is a beneficial suggestion to parents and would like copies
of what research is available. So, I am asking a huge favour, does
anyone have any research articles on hand on how osteopathy benefits
babies that I could take in to her?

Thanks in advance,
Sonya
who has to wonder why medical doc's are so adverse to anything that
isn't considered mainstream, and what is so wrong in giving parents
more information rather than less?

---