Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2015 08:41:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Joined the list long ago -- the lungfish were climbing out of the primordial ooze…..

I've already posted here about my concerns regarding the shift to Facebook for professional discussion (and, hey, you can go look it up in the archives!) but, unfortunately, it was only being read by the people still here.  I'm afraid that boat has sailed.  

Part of the downturn in Lactnet traffic might be that our hyper-connected selves are being pulled in lots of directions.  Even keeping up with creaky old e-mail is getting exhausting -- remember when "you've got mail" was a fun thing? (amusing piece on burnout, in 2007!   http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/opinion/01ephron.html?_r=0  

I don't "do" Facebook, but the people who do get involved check in many times every day (and night) to keep up with so many different groups there, along with all the other bright and shiny things the Web offers.  (admitting here to being easily sucked into YouTube -- the first step is admitting you have a problem).

Lactnet offers long, thoughtful referenced posts by great lactation leaders.  One feels that the person posting read back over what they wrote, chiseled it a bit, added a reference, etc. because there is a sense that when you hit the "send," what you have said belongs to the ages.  (And someone mentioned Lactnet being more private -- well, it's not really, anyone can join or read -- so, hello there, formula company spies!)  Maybe other people toss off a post, but I suffer and re-write before posting to Lactnet.

It has been an honor to communicate with the people here -- including the brand-new LCs, who are the future.  I remember great, practical posts by Barbara Wilson Clay.  I remember writing to Catherine Watson Genna privately to thank her for her long careful posts on structure and function and suggested she write a book with lots of pictures(and she replied that it was under contract!)  Lisa Marasco really opened my thinking on supply issues and Diane Wiessinger is a philosopher queen in the profession. Liz Brooks makes me laugh and ponder.  Loved the international correspondents -- now that I'm naming names, I feel bad that I can't heap praise on hundreds of people who have offered up their expertise, or even asked the right questions.

Margaret Wills, LLLL, IBCLC Maryland, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2