From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2015 09:17:52 -0400
Always be kind and respectful.
Language and counseling skills are critical here. You need to explore
why the mother doesn't understand her baby needs more food. Maybe she
just wants to breastfeed so much. Maybe she is scared of formula so
using banked milk or other donor milk would help. Maybe she truly
doesn't see that anything is wrong.
I love the way Laurie uses the word "calories". The baby needs more
calories, not you need to feed the baby more, you need to supplement.
You can talk about the extra calories needed as a transitional tool that
will help her get where she wants to go. I do sometimes talk about we
need to go backward in breastfeeding to move forward in breastfeeding.
Also, you could try to just present the evidence in a factual way. Human
babies gain on average about .5-2 oz per 24 hours. 0.5 is really the
minimum. Let's look at your baby's weight starting from day 4 or so,
where we would expect the baby's lowest weight to be. Just go through
the numbers. My guess is that your mother will come to the same
conclusion that we all have! That baby needs more calories NOW. Please
have her do pre and post weights.
Or better yet, you do one. After the baby feeds, before you put the baby
on the scale, ask how was that feed? Terrible, ok, or great? If the
mother says great and then the scale does not reflect that, it is more
evidence. Let her know how many ozish the baby needs in 24 hours based
upon her weight. Calculate that out for her. Take the number of feeds in
24 hours and multiply that by the transfer understanding this is just a
rough estimate. If I am concerned about weight gain this number, no
matter how generous I am being with transfer, is still far lower than it
needs to be. A note though, I found when babies have not gotten all the
necessary calories for a number of weeks, they need to eat far more than
the roughtly 2.5 oz per pound per 24 hours after day 10.
On a side note, I am fostering tiny baby kittens and weighing them every
day. Baby kittens put on about .5 oz per 24 hours. When I first get them
they are usually quite thin and eat like pigs for 2-4 days. Then they
settle down with their intake. Watching their weight everyday has shown
me what great variation there are as to how they put on their weight.
Some days they lose weight, other days they put on 2.3 oz.
Back to the issue, the mother says she has lots of milk but either her
baby has a serious health problem or the baby is not drinking the
plentiful supply.
Thank you,
-- Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC The Breastfeeding Center of Ann
Arbor bfcaa.com