Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:36:07 -0800
I had a mom with chronic nipple damage and pain, she used nipple shield which helped the nipple damage heal, but nipples always pink, she pumped but that was very painful, there were several lactation consultants helping this mom who gave birth to preterm twins. I got babies off the shield directly onto breast which was a great relief, babies were latching well when mama was diligent about latch. In between all of this, while using shield & pumping she had recurrent yeast infections, mastitis( finally got Doc to prescribe anti-bacterial & yeast combo) no one would prescribe APNO cream.
Turns out she was allergic to the plastic in the flanges (we tried 4 different brands) and the nipple shields, so was her baby girl, not the boy (she kept getting yeast in mouth), once she stopped shields and pumping her nipples turned normal color, no more pain, yeast or mastitis!
So for those difficult chronic sore nipple cases, perhaps it is an allergy to latex (as my mom) or something in plastic.

Sent from my iPhone