Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michele Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:06:42 -0800
PTP:  Mom with 8 week old baby.  I saw them about 3 weeks ago for latch
problems and sore nipples.  Mom had quit breastfeeding 3 days prior and
baby is on formula.  Mom needed a pump.  Baby and mom had all the classic
symptoms of tt however, I could not see or feel anything. Baby also had
significant postural preferences as well as asymmetry.  So I referred her
for some body work which was delayed by illness of the provider.  We issued
her a Lactina and teach hands-on technique.  One week later, her nipples
are cracked and bleeding from the pump.  I provide smaller flanges,
demonstrate hand expression, hand pump, discussed coconut oil / lanolin.
Today she calls and schedules a follow up and lets me know everything we
tried with the pump is still damaging her nipples.  Her breasts are full
and she can't get the milk out.  I have encouraged hand expression however
I don't think she is really trying it. I can swap the Lactina for a Hygeia
which some moms have told me feels more gentle to them.

Baby got bodywork today and I heard from the therapist that the frenulum is
now visible.  Baby will need a bit more however the therapist recommended
possible revision prior to more work.

Of course this poor mom is so discouraged and in pain. She is wondering if
she should just give up.  Besides hand expression what other options can I
offer?  I welcome your thoughts and ideas!
Thanks,
Michele
(who is having a rather odd mix of challenges today :-(  )

--
*Michele L. Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL*