From:
Sally Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 14:59:36 -1000
So I think there is a lack of understanding of how the US WIC program
works. WIC is separate from the "food stamp" program.  With food stamps,
families are given a certain dollar amount each month and they are allowed
to buy any foods they wish, including ABM, more commonly referred to as
formula here in the US (there are some exclusions such as prepared hot
foods from a Deli etc).

The US WIC program serves to close nutritional gaps in the diet.
Participants are given a food package that includes vouchers or electronic
card for certain types of foods each month, (such as milk, cheese, eggs,
whole grain bread, beans, peanut butter, iron enriched cereals,and a
monetary amount for fruits and vegetables).
Each breastfeeding dyad, which may be a fully breastfeeding or a partial
breastfeeding mom (to make it more confusing a mom can be classified as
mostly bfing or some bfing), should be carefully screened to determine if
formula is needed. If a mom is categorized on WIC program as a fully
breastfeeding mom she is given *NO* vouchers to pick up formula and would
not be able to use any of her vouchers to pickup formula.

Also as an FYI The data collected through the NIS is in no way connected to
data collected by WIC programs.  For, example the current software used in
my state does not even allow us to collect info on exclusive breastfeeding
rates.  A mom may be categorized on the program as exclusively
breastfeeding and would not receive vouchers for formula, but it does not
mean that this baby is not getting formula, water or complimentary foods.

I agreed that data collection is lacking, but before the NIS added
breastfeeding questions to the random-dial survey the majority of
breastfeeding data in the US was coming from a major formula manufacturer.
So this is a step in the right direction. I think if the survey was done
earlier in the baby's life we may see different results.

I hope this was understandable, if you have additional questions about the
WIC program please let me know.

Thanks

Sally Greene, MS, IBCLC