From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:15:00 +0200
Dear all – Can anyone point me to Posters encouraging breastfeeding in disaster areas. I am looking for visual materials for refugee Moms pouring into Lesbos - Arabic,Pashto, Dari, French and English.
Does anyone know someone working with relief services on Lesbos? These are wonderful people but I don’t know how many are educated in the urgency of maintaining breastfeeding in such situation. Is there perhaps an IBCLC there? I am sending as much information as possible but I need visuals for helping workers and mothers without language. Sincerely, Toby Gish retired IBCLC, RN

Quote from a letter from Lesbos.
“.... people were very wet and freezing cold today. I ran out to the shore as they arrived with my arms full of blankets, my eyes scanning for the Children and babies to wrap them up, having to bypass the adults who I knew were just as cold. many small children and babies arrived, one as young as 12 days old. several moms were asking for bottles which is unusual since they usually breastfeed. I found myself scrambling to find a bottle...someone put carolina's(the lamb) bottle where the baby bottles should be. had I not been paying attention I would have used it by accident. There was only one bottle left and more boats and babies coming. the formula instructions were in Greek and someone had attempted to write a translation but the English did not seem correct. babies cried. generator stopped working which meant no lights in clinic or women/children clothing room which is complete chaos even with light. I can't describe the kind of chaos that happens every day in that tent-like nothing I have ever experienced. we all scrambled to find approximately fitting clothing for everyone in the dark tent, fumbling and climbing over each other- toddler was crying and couldn't find mom in the dark-I picked her up and tried to find her-one little boy sat silently shivering outside the tent (it was too full of people)as I tried to dress him and 5 others at once...i put many clothes on him and he was still shivering. he had the sweetest, softest eyes.