From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:38:43 +0000
Holly

Congratulations to your hospital on embarking on Baby Friendly
accreditation.  I can't speak for what's done in the US, but the
original Baby-Fiendly criteria required that a hospital pay 80% of
the retail market value for any formula purchased and used.  The
rationale is that breastfeeding is to be promoted, and that the only
babies who would require formula would be those for whom it is
medically indicated - there is a list of those indications in the
Baby Friendly training materials.   The theory is that formula would
only be required in extremely small quantities, perhaps for the first
1-2-3 days of life when the pre-term babies are receiving
60-90-120ml/kg/day..... Full-term healthy babies should in theory not
require any at all. I've done Code monitoring at a large teaching
hospital where the accounts and invoices were required to "prove"
what price was paid, and during BFHI assessments I know that
assessors would go through the prem nursery records to establish that
the only formula used was in fact "medically indicated".

It's hard to see - if the political will is there - that a hospital's
formula bill wuold reach a whopping $85 000 per annum if
breastfeeding is being adequately promoted and supported.....

But of course that's looking at Baby-Friendly from a developing
country perspective and with the original intention of the
Nineties.  I think that in UK, the mothers who apparently "choose" to
formula-feed are excluded from BFI assessments, which is a great shame :-(

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England