From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:51:23 -0500
While chickens do indeed love SHB and Larva,  the beetles nocturnal nature
means little to no interaction.   I have better than 50 birds less than 100
feet from nucs (free range) and not much help.  Still have beetles.
Although we have NO Japanese beetles anymore.  And eggs are fine.

On another note.  Randy asked about breeding in the pumpkins.  I have to say
no.  Keep in mind theres over 400 acres so I can't positive,  but no sign in
damaged pumpkins, and heavy spraying probably keeps them down also.   I also
see no increase in infestations in pumpkins per sea.

Fiprinol (Combat) is worthless  in beetle traps.  The beetles do not ingest
it,  and it seems to not kill from contact.   Several traps were opened and
contained many LIVE beetles,  and no dead ones were found.   In contrast
when checkmite is used (comphos)  normaly a beetle trap will have many dead
beetles in it.

Total so far this year looks to be 17 hives lost to beetles   One opened
yesterday wiped out,  still had a queen and many workers although they were
sequestered to the top of the hive.  Probably only an hour or two away from
absconding.  I had left this hive with a heavy infestation in order to watch
it.  double checking the development.

Going to try this week to get some Toridor see how it does on larva.

Charles