From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:30:41 -0700
Just a few observations.  I don't claim to know about all of the possible issues connected to this, but I've seen how one variable, genetics, can make the biggest difference of all in whether a toddler gets cavities.  My ex's sister's husband had full dentures at 19 and his entire family had lost their teeth by age 30.  Some of their children had terrible teeth, despite a great deal of diligence with brushing, as well as very good diets.

My third adopted child had "nursing bottle mouth", too.  I nursed him,supplementing with the Lact-Aid, for a little more than a year, and then without it for three more years.  My milk supply was always on the smaller side and he never stayed asleep with my nipple in his mouth, so I'm positive that his teeth were never bathed in milk while he was asleep.  I also cleaned his teeth with gauze laparotomy sponges, leftover from surgery, from the time they came in, in addition to brushing, when he got a bit older.  I practiced essentially the same oral hygiene and early feeding with all six of my adopted children (none of whom had any biological relation to another), but the front baby teeth of the other five all fell out in perfect condition.  Not only have my third son's teeth been terrible, throughout his life, but his two children also have bad teeth. I had always figured is was genetic. A few years back, we reunited with his lovely young birth mom, and she confirmed that unusually weak tooth enamel runs in her family.

If a child is born with weak tooth enamel, I doubt that weaning will change it.  It would certainly be a shame to deprive mother and baby of the benefits of toddler nursing, for nothing.  The mom might want to try something like cleaning her baby's teeth with gauze after every nursing.  I felt like I could get the teeth cleaner with the gauze, than with a toothbrush. Also, if there is a dentist who is willing to try to save the child's teeth, that would be worth pursuing.  My grandbabies have both had their front teeth capped, ( under heavy sedation), and that has kept them from getting worse, until they were ready to fall out.