From:
April Rosenblum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 00:17:25 -0500
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share this resource for anyone who has not already seen
it. There is a website, AZCert.com, that maintains and updates a list of
the known drugs that prolong the QT interval of the heart. This is the
cardiac risk that people are concerned about with use of domperidone. I
find this list of drugs very useful when talking to a mother about whether
she is a candidate for domperidone (she shouldn't take it if she is already
taking another drug that lengthens the QT interval).

A few things about this issue are really interesting in regards to our work:
1) While domperidone has gotten a lot of attention for it, this risk is in
fact common to many drugs - it's not a special side effect of domperidone.
2) Although many physicians in the US seem to be much more comfortable
prescribing Reglan (despite its neurologic effects and its risk for
triggering postpartum depression) than domperidone, in part because of the
cardiac concerns, Reglan itself also carries the QT interval risk. (Thank
you to Frank Nice for pointing this out at GOLD this year.)
3) Some of these drugs are so common that moms may not think to mention
their use to us, including antidepressants like Celexa and Lexapro. I have
seen conflicting information about whether Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac
lengthen QT or not.

The AZCert.com list was created for people who have a congenital tendency
toward long QT, but it seems like it could be just as useful for our
conversations with clients. The website allows you to register and receive
alerts by email when this list is revised.

I hope this is of use to some of you.

April
--

"There isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story."
- Mary Lou Kownacki

April Rosenblum, IBCLC

Give them the gift of worry-free breastfeeding!
West Philly Lactation has gift certificates for baby showers.
www.westphillylactation.com
267-888-MILK (-6455)