From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2014 08:55:41 -0700
>I lack 100 colonies these days, so I cannot perform a test with enough data

> points to be considered a statistically significant sample of bee behavior.

What I found interesting in my observational (data free) experiment was the
behavior of the guard bees the moment that the odor appeared to hit them.
I would hold the cut banana near them with no response until a moment had
passed for the odor to waft to their antennae.  And then the response was
immediate and striking, depending upon the individual guard.

I had no way of seeing the actual air currents, which could have accounted
for some differences

What was of interest to me was that as soon as a guard did the shuddering
response, a wave of shudder would quickly pass through the surrounding
guards.  I do not know whether this was from them finally smelling the
banana, or based upon how the wave of response moved, more likely from the
initial guard releasing alarm pheromone herself.

Jim, do you know whether IAA is a component of off the shelf banana extract?
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA