Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 19:31:24 -0700
Thanks you friends and peers.  I am not sure if I previously replied because I too am sleep deprived this weekend.  I did not give the complete story regarding "pink eye".  I do value the responses and the words of wisdom and experience.  I do not feel that I stepped out of my scope....and do feel safe with interaction that took place.  I was just wanting some quick references to give others some words to read in regards to milk as a perfect medium for bacteria growth.  I might have sounded gruff but surely didn't mean it.
We were in a group setting for support and learning.  Mother of infant asked me to make an appointment with Ped...sorry none available......mother asked if baby girl has pink eye can she put breast milk in her eye.  My answer was if she was diagnosed with pink eye then yes she could use mom milk to assist the body to heals itself.  Mom states that she is afraid the Ped would make her use ABX and she wasn't ready for that with her 3 month old.  I told mom to create the dialog with her Ped after a diagnoses was made.  I gave her s/s of conjunctivitis and her infant only had crusty eye that morning.  Mom asked if she could use mom milk instead of ABX drops.  Again, I told her to definitely speak with the doctor.  Another nurse from another team heard that conversation and told that teams doctor (internal Med) that I was talking about mom milk in patients eyes....he didn't hear the whole conversation (that mom initiated in front of the group).  The IM doc told me no milk in the eyes.  I said I have read studies and papers regarding the benefits.......she said, no milk in my patients eyes.....

I heard her and will not speak to her patients about using mom milk for anything.  Want to share research with the facility so they are exposed to other remedies.

I don't think it is an action for the state board but I will be more cognizant of my words.
Thank you.
Annette Mueller, RN, IBCLC
Sent from my Sprint phone