Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:22:14 +0000
>Heather, does Healthy Start track what the vouchers are used for?

I don't know, sorry.

I think the main operational difference between Healthy Start and WIC
is that the UK state does not buy formula and has no direct
commercial relationship with the formula manufactures. Healthy Start
is a *retailer* based scheme, and the retailer is reimbursed for the
monetary value of the voucher. Mothers go into shops to exchange the
vouchers.

The scheme is several years old now, but it springs from the old
Welfare Foods programme which gave 'milk tokens' to families, which
they exchanged at shops or at baby clinics. Clinics stopped providing
formula about 20 years ago.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--