Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:40:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
To Mary and all of you other wonderful people who responded to me about my grandaughter in London...thank you! I can't tell you how comforting it was for this LC to have her sister LCs standing by to support me when I was trying to be grandmother , mother, and lactation consultant!

Here is a follow-up.  Elaine Clove is now 10 weeks old, and doing MUCH better.  At 7 weeks, she had a grade 4 upper lip tie and a submucosal "very fiberous" posterier TT  lasered by Dr. Malcom Levinkind in London.  He sent me post surgical photos (he is very, very nice.)  Elaine had bodywork twice, once before and once after the revision.  

Of course, this is out-of-pocket for the kids, not something the NHS is very forward acting about at present...  Several of my daughter's friends are waiting eight weeks for an assessment through the NHS, currently.  

There was no improvement seen until about one week post laser.  Since then, however, the baby has begun eating more comfortably, (not coming off and fussing, burping so much, slipping off the nipple) and the silent reflux seems to be gone.  She is a MUCH happier baby now.  And she is babbling and sticking her tongue way out of her mouth!

I think we are fortunate that my daughter had a plentiful milk supply, and continues to, because the latch was so haphazard, and the baby seemed to be able to get enough from the spigot at first...we all know how that can backfire.  

The only other factor that might be worth mentioning is that last week, even though things were going better, I suggested that she "mix the milk" before feedings as suggested to me by Laura Spitzfaden (Thank you, Laura!)  Laura says this is suggested by Christina Smillie in her powerpoint "The perils of Block-feeding and the Magic of the Milk-Shake."

I was not familiar with the concept, but I have been assuming that my daughter has a "large storage capacity" so it made sense to me to suggest this, too.  My guess is that it helps, and may allow Elaine's steady weight gain to plateau now, which would be good!

Gratefully,
Sue Jacoby, IBCLC (Who just happened to celebrate her 30th year as a LLL Leader this past Saturday!)
California

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2